A golden-coloured Thai chicken curry is cooked using fresh herbs, spices, and the hint of cinnamon. A swirl of coconut milk is added at the end that enhances rich, creamy texture for final Thai taste. Whole chicken pieces and drumsticks provide very gentle results, and chunky wedges of potato round out the dish.
In Thailand, yellow curries are prepared with yellow chilies, but red can also be a replacement. For those whose taste tends towards less spicy foods, this curry can also be a delicious food prepared without chili.
Ingredients for Thai Chicken Curry
This can serve up to 4 people:
- Boneless chicken: 1 lbs.
- Black pepper: ½ tsp.
- Coconut oil: 1tsp
- Chopped onion: 1 medium size
- Full-fat coconut milk: 1 cup
- Ginger/garlic paste: 1 tsp.
- Chilli powder: 1 tsp.
- White wine: 1 cup
- Fish sauce
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp.
- Turmeric: ½ tsp.
- Coriander leaves
- Potato: 3-4
Time of Preparation: 15 Minutes
Time of Cooking: 45 to 60 Minutes
Preparation and Cooking
- Warm the medium-size pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and then add onion, ginger, garlic, and chili. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes to release the fragrance.
- Add white wine. Let it simmer over medium-high heat for 5 minutes to burn off alcohol. Add chicken stock, fish sauce, cumin seed, turmeric, coriander, and limes leaves or bay leaves. Then stir well.
- Add chicken pieces. When the curry starts boiling, lessen heat to medium, or until you get a nice simmer. Boil 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cover 3/4 with the lid. Keep on simmering for another 20 minutes, or until chicken is mild and coming away from the bone, and potatoes are cooked.
- Reduce heat to low. Add 1/3 coconut milk and cinnamon stick and stir curry gently. You can taste for spice and for the flavour you want. If not flavourful, add fish sauce, 1 tablespoon. At a time, until the desired flavor is attained. If it is too spicy or salty, you can add more coconut milk.
You can serve this with fresh coriander sprinkled over and Thai jasmine-scented rice on the side.
Some Good Things about Chicken!
- Apt for athlete as Chicken is high in protein
- Delicious and healthy as it is rich in essential minerals and vitamins
- Perfect addition to weight loss plans
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Controls cholesterol and blood pressure
Stay tuned with us for more delicious recipes and nutritional information!