The spicy-lovers are sure to love this pickled Brinjal recipe that I am detailing below. This pickle serves as a perfect accompaniment with rice or rotis. This recipe may be taken either as an appetizer or in a main course meal. It can be prepared in a matter of few minutes, and only basic ingredients are required.
After that, you can be assured that the compliments will follow and help in winning brownie points, amongst your family members.
Pickled Brinjal: Ingredients
- Brinjal: 1 kg
- Vinegar: 2 Cups
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 Tsp
- Garlic: 2 Cloves (big-sized)
- Ginger: 2-inch piece
- Red Chili Powder: 2 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds: 2 Tsp
- Sugar: 1 ½ Cup
- Mustard seeds: ¼ Tsp
- Salt: 2 Tbsp
- Oil: ¾ Cup
- Turmeric powder: 1 Tsp
Pickled Brinjal: Preparation
- Wash the Brinjal (also known as Eggplant in many countries) and then chop into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Peel the ginger and garlic after rinsing in cold water. Then dice the ingredients. Place aside.
- Soak in vinegar, the ingredients including mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, ginger cubes, garlic pieces, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
- Keep for 1 hour and then grind the mixture.
The Cooking Method
- Take oil in a pan on the gas and allow it to become hot. Add the ground mixture and fry in the oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Then salt, sugar, and Brinjal pieces should be put in the pan. Mix the pan contents for few minutes. Sauté the mixture on medium heat until it becomes a coagulated blend. The Brinjal should also become softened.
- Remove the pan from the gas and allow the mixture to cool.
- Take a clean container and spoon in the pickle.
The pickled Brinjal can be served immediately. It should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 2-3 months. While serving rice and dal dishes, the pickle can also be put on the table. The flavor of bland dishes can be spiced up, by adding a small amount of this hot pickle. Be sure the taste buds will be tickled.
Important Things to Note
Pickled Brinjal is one spicy recipe; therefore, green chilies can also be added to the recipe if you like the pickle to be extremely zesty. Take 8-10 green chilies and split lengthwise. Then wash the ingredients and drain the excess water. Add them to the pan, a few minutes after the brinjal pieces, according to the instructions mentioned above.
Are you looking for more Indian and continental recipes? Read through our exclusive collection of recipes in our food and nutrition section here.