Butter chicken or Punjabi murgh makhani is also known as Indian butter chicken which is a popular dish across the globe. It can be served with naan or kulcha. To make authentic butter chicken recipe, you need to grill chicken either in a pan or in the oven and then cook it up in rich gravy.
Ingredients for Butter Chicken
- Boneless Chicken pieces: 350 gram
- Lemon Juice: 1/2 Cup
- Chilli Powder: 1tsp
- Curd: Half Cup
- Kasuri Methi
- Ginger Paste: 1 Teaspoon.
- Garlic Paste: 1 Teaspoon.
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Fresh cream: 2 tbsp. (for garnishing)
- Butter: 1 tsp.
- Methi Powder: 1 tsp.
- Cashew: 10-12
- Kasuri Methi: ½ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Chilli Powder: 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp.
- Ginger/Garlic Paste: 1 tsp.
- Green Chillies: 3-4
- Sugar: 1 tsp.
- Tomato: 3-4 medium size
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Marinating Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 1:30 hour
Preparation and Cooking
- Wash chicken under running water and pat it dry. Marinate with lemon juice, yogurt, Kasuri methi, oil, turmeric, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala powder, chili powder and salt for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours, overnight works best.
- Grill chicken in oven or stove top. For stove top method, Add one tablespoon butter and add marinade. Fry on high flame till all moisture disappears. Keep stirring continuously to avoid burning. Transfer this to the plate and put aside. To grill it in the oven, preheat oven to 2400C for at least 20 minutes. Grill it until meat is cooked. It may take around 20 to 30 minutes depending on the size of chicken chunks.
Cooking Butter Chicken
- Heat the pan with butter, add dry spices and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies and fry till it turns aromatic.
- Add tomato puree, red chili powder, sugar, and salt. Mix and cook until tomato puree turns thick and starts to leave oil at sides of the pan.
- Pour one cup water and add methi powder, cashew or almond paste or almond milk. Adjust water to suit your required consistency.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes and then add Kasuri methi and garam masala or add at later step for the best fragrance.
- Add chicken and simmer for around 5 to 7 minutes till it turns soft and mild.
- Add garam masala, Kasuri methi. Stir and boil for approximately 2-3 minutes. Pour chilled cream and switch off the stove.
- Serve butter chicken with coriander leaves and extra cream.
The health benefits of chicken are numerous; check out more chicken recipes on our website. Healthy eating!