Spinach kofta curry is a delicious gravy-based dish; it is well-known as the Indian Palak Kofta curry. Spinach and potato koftas are boiled in rich, creamy tomato gravy, which makes this a very appetizing dish. Spinach kofta can be served with Rotis, Naan, Parathas, or with plain white rice.
Ingredients for Spinach Kofta Curry
- Finely Chopped Spinach: 2 Cups
- Boiled Potatoes: 1-1/2 Cups
- Cumin Seed: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt:1/2 Teaspoon
- Besan/gram flour: 1/4 Cup
- Oil to fry
- Oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds:1 Teaspoon
- Asafetida:1/8 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder:2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric:1/2 Teaspoon
- Cashew Powder:3 Tablespoons
- Tomatoes Pieces:2 Cups
- Chopped Ginger:1 Tablespoon
- Chopped Green Chili:1
- Salt:1 Teaspoons
- Sugar:1 Teaspoon
- Cream:1/4 Cup
- Garam Masala:1/4 Teaspoon
- Water:1-1/2 Cups
Preparation and Cooking
- Boil the spinach and squeeze it
- Add all the ingredients and mix well
- Add gram flour and roll the balls for Koftas with the dough
- Heat oil in a frying pan for 10 minutes and drop Kofta balls in it.
- Let these balls fry for 8-10 minutes
- Once these balls become golden brown, take them off the hot oil.
Cooking the Gravy:
- Blend tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium-high.
- Add the asafoetida, cumin seeds stir for a minute. Lower heat to low, add other spices except for garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, salt sugar, turmeric, and cashew powder.
- Add tomato puree, increase heat to medium cook until tomato mixture begins leaving oil and reduces to about half in quantity. Add cream around 1 tablespoon for garnishing and cook for another minute.
- Add approximately 1-1/2 cups of water, as it comes to boil lower the heat to low and allow gravy cook for few minutes.
- Add prepared koftas and let it boil for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add garam masala and cover the pot.
Health Benefits of Spinach
Spinach, also called Palak in India is great for skin and health. It can prevent you from various ailments and disorders; some of them are listed below:
- It can manage your diabetes levels
- It can help you to prevent your cancer
- It lowers the blood pressure in hypertensive patients
- It is rich in calcium; therefore, can improve the health of bones
- It is rich in Vitamin A and C; thereby, it can give you lustrous skin and hair
Keep reading new recipes that we post every week; enjoy our new tips and tricks on cooking and preparing nutritious food. Happy cooking; healthy eating!