A healthy goldfish is a happy goldfish! Keeping into consideration all my previous articles, I believe I have covered most of the requirements and problems that we all may have to deal with at some point of time when dealing with our little ones – goldfish.
Important Goldfish Care Tips – Goldfish Foods & Facts
Yesterday, all of a sudden one of my goldfish, Amber wasn’t moving around and behaving sluggish; I got a little scared and this is when I realized that I have definitely missed on something; she had been sitting down the entire day sticking in the corner of the tank.
- There’s no harm if you may not be able to feed goldfish for a day or two; our goldfish can live without food easily for a week; never overfeed goldfish, give them food that they can consume in a minute’s time; remove excess food immediately and clean the fish tank regularly, no matter how good or big the attached filter is.
- Goldfish do not suffer short-term memory loss; they are intelligent enough to remember as good as a five-year-old human child; we will easily notice this when we go close to the fish tank and open the feeding flap. They recognize our presence and know that we are their family and feeders.
- Clean the water in the aquarium more often and feed goldfish on a regular basis, if our goldfish looks unhealthy; this might solve the problem, but if it doesn’t take it to the local pet store and see if they can help; also read online for blogs and forums to get solutions online.
- Soak the food for a few seconds prior to feeding goldfish; this will avoid floating of the food and will allow it to sink in the fish tank. Buoyancy problems occur in goldfish when it swallows excess air while eating; soaking of food reduces the risk of air swallowing in goldfish.
- As I said earlier, variety is the spice of life; so is it with goldfish too; they also love to have variety in their diet. Give goldfish pellet food; live and frozen/dried foods at least two times a week alternatively; to keep goldfish on a vegetarian diet, add veggies including crushed peeled green peas; cucumber; broccoli; zucchini and raw egg yolk to their diet after either processing them in the microwave for around 30 seconds.
- Goldfish tend to eat anything and everything we give them; therefore, it is our duty to be careful and think before we add in the aquarium and we give them to eat; we must feed goldfish with healthy food, and in a limited amount.
- We must ensure that we know how healthy our goldfish is; a healthy goldfish always have upright dorsal fins and cherry bright scales. The goldfish appearance will help us check on the signs whether it is happy or unhappy.
- Healthy goldfish requires optimum water temperature to happily live in; we may need to install a heater to provide it maintain water temperature in a fish tank.
- Let goldfish hibernate for at least 8 to 10 hours a day; do not disturb them, even if their eyelids are open; they need rest and that’s the way they take rest.
- Do not use sand in the fish tank, it isn’t as preferable; and even if you do so, then stir it well when cleaning the fish tank to prevent compacting of sand and building of toxic gas.
- Never put goldfish in a glass bowl; it will shorten the goldfish’s lifespan. Always use a spacious fish tank; goldfish need ample space to live healthy and longer.
- Millions of goldfish die due to improper care and goldfish myths; please be kind to goldfish so that they can live longer, happier and healthier; goldfish are known to live anything between 15 and 35 years.
- Give goldfish good and similar companions; they love to live in schools and should be kept with another goldfish of similar kinds and sizes.