Hydrebadi recipes are reminiscent of Mughlai cuisine, and the Double Ka Meetha dish is another offering in this category. The dish is prepared with bread slices and also includes ingredients such as cardamom, saffron, cream, milk and sugar.
Recipe for Double Ka Meetha
The recipe for Double Ka Meetha can be found in the following details.
Double Ka Meetha: Ingredients
- Brown bread/White bread: 6 Nos.
- Full-Fat Milk: 2 Cups
- Almonds (sliced): 1 Tbsp
- Sugar: ¼ Cup
- Saffron strands: 4-6 Nos.
- Ghee/Clarified butter: for shallow-frying
- Water: ½ Cup
- Cashew nuts (chopped): 1 Tbsp
- Raisins: ½ Tbsp
- Cardamom powder: ¼ Tsp
Double Ka Meetha: Cooking Method
- The milk should be poured into a small-sized non-stick pan and heated upon the gas on the medium
- Allow the milk to start boiling, after which the heat can be reduced to low flame and cooked until it reaches half the original quantity or 1 cup. The pan contents should be stirred at intervals to prevent it from sticking to the sides. Sprinkle the cardamom powder and saffron strands in the pan. Mix well. Cook the pan contents until the mixture becomes coagulated. Then, turn off the gas and transfer the pan contents to a bowl. Let it cool and then keep in the refrigerator.
- Take another pan, combine water and sugar for preparing sugar syrup. Cook the pan contents on the gas for 5-7 minutes, while stirring every couple of minutes. After the mixture has reached a thickened and sticky consistency, the gas can be switched-off. Set aside.
- The edges of the bread slices should be chopped, and then they can be cut into triangular shapes. Here, it may be noted that there are three ways of making the bread They can be shallow-fried, deep-fried or toasted. If you are toasting the bread slices, then put the slices in the toaster, which can be followed by brushing ghee on both sides of the toasted slices, after which they can be cut into triangle shapes.
- If you are deep-frying the bread slices, then ghee can be added to a deep pan and placed on medium heat. The bread slices can be added to the pan when the ghee is hot. When the slices are golden and crispy, place them over absorbent napkins for draining the excess ghee.
- Shallow-frying the bread slices entails brushing the bread slices with ghee. After that, they can be cooked on medium flame in a non-stick pan. The bread slices will turn golden and crispy on both sides, and then they can be removed from the pan.
- The toasted bread slices must be immersed in the readied sugar syrup. Then, they can be set on a serving plate.
- The coagulated milk can then be poured over the bread slices. Top with cashew nuts, almonds, and raisins. The dish can be served at room temperature or chilled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before being placed on the table.
Serve the Double Ka Meetha for dessert! Also, do not forget to write to us, we would like to know whether you found the experience enjoyable.
Please Note: The dry fruits can also be fried in ghee for a minute, for a crunchier taste, before garnishing the dish.
Go to our other Indian and continental dessert recipes on our Recipe Blog Section!