Prepared with jam and served with thickened custard, we present the recipe for a traditional British Jam Roly-Poly pudding, including vegetable suet as one its ingredients, which imparts the soft texture to the pudding. You can find the recipe for the Jam Roly-Poly pudding accompanied with Custard in the following details.
Ingredients for the Jam Roly-Poly
- Vegetable suet (light variety) (shredded): 75 g
- Castor Sugar: 40 g
- Self-rising flour: 160 g (extra for dusting purposes)
- Semi-skimmed milk: 2 Tbsp
- Raspberry jam: 125 g
- Egg (mediums sized) (beaten): 1 Nos
- Butter: for greasing
Ingredients for the Custard
- Whipping cream: 200 ml
- Castor sugar: 60 g
- Egg yolks (medium-sized): 3 Nos
- Corn flour: 1 Tsp
- Vanilla pod (split into two pieces): 1 Nos
- Whole milk: 200 ml
- Salt: to taste
Preparation: The oven should be pre-heated to mark 6/180°F/200°C. Also, grease one side of baking parchment with butter and keep aside.
Cooking Method for the Jam Roly-Poly
- Take a large-sized mixing bowl. Sift the flour into the bowl. Add the ingredients such as sugar, vegetable, suet, and salt. Mix the bowl contents.
- Put the beaten egg and semi-skimmed milk into the bowl. Use a wooden spoon to whisk the bowl contents for dough having a stiff consistency.
- On a clean surface, splatter little amount of flour, after which the dough should be rolled out in rectangle shape of 30 × 20 cm in measurements, with the help of a rolling pin. Now, the jam should be spread on the rolled-out dough, leaving a 2cm space near the edges. Then, roll up the dough and seal the ends.
- Keep the rolled dough on the butter-greased side of baking paper and roll. Cover the roll with a foil sheet, which can be followed by baking in the oven for around 40 minutes or until cooked.
- After that, the jam roly-poly can be removed from the oven and split into medium-sized slices, to keep it ready for serving.
Cooking Method for the Custard
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn flour, castor sugar, and egg yolks. Whisk the bowl contents. Set aside.
- Take a pan and put on the gas. Add whole milk, vanilla pod and whipping cream in the pan and heat the contents.
- When the pan contents start simmering, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the pan contents on top of the egg mixture into the bowl. Constantly, whip the bowl contents for an even mixture.
- Discard the vanilla pod. Now, add the bowl contents to the pan. Allow the pan contents to heat for 5-10 minutes. Keep stirring at intervals until the pan contents become thick in consistency. Do not allow the pan contents to boil.
- The custard can now be served with the Jam Roly-Poly.
Enjoy the Jam Roly-Poly paired with the Custard as a dessert dish. We hope that give the recipe a try and let us know whether the experience was satisfying. Learn other variety of recipes from our recipe section, and we are sure you will enjoy them.