The recipe that I am sharing below is not a traditional Andhra recipe; it can be considered as an adaptation of the same. The flavor of the carrot pickle can be described as tangy, owing to the lemon juice ingredient. Ginger or garlic can be used to prepare the pickle. Store the readied pickle in the refrigerator and consume within 5-7 days.
This pickle can be served with rice and dal dishes. It is a simple recipe and takes only a few minutes to prepare. Raw mangoes can also be used instead of carrots, and is referred to as Avakaya.
Carrot Pickle: Ingredients
- ½ cup: Carrots (peeled and cubed)
- 2 tsp: Red Chili powder
- 2 tbsp: Ginger / Garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 1/8th tsp: Turmeric powder
- 1/4th tsp: Methi seeds
- 2 tsp: Mustard seeds
- ¾ tbsp: Lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp: Oil
- Salt: to taste
Carrot Pickle: Preparation
- Wash the carrots with running water. After that, they should be peeled.
- Dry the carrots with a clean towel to keep it moisture-free.
- Now take a knife and chop into cube-sized pieces. Keep aside.
- Repeat the same procedure with ginger/garlic.
- Take a pan on the gas and add the methi seeds.
- Dry roast the seeds until they exude an aroma. Now turn off the gas.
- Transfer the pan contents to a plate.
- Use the same pan and put the mustard seeds.
- Stir for few minutes until they are warmed. Then let it cool. After the methi seeds and mustard seeds have cooled, powder the contents together.
- Set aside.
Take oil in a pan and let it become hot. Now add the carrot pieces and ginger/garlic. Switch off the gas. Keep stirring the pan contents in the heated oil for few minutes. The shelf life of the pickle can be increased, as a result.
In the pan, sprinkle turmeric powder, red chili powder, methi-mustard mixture and salt. Increase the quantity of the powders, for more gravy in the pickle. Mix the pan contents and taste the pickle. It should have a pungent flavor. The contents can be adjusted according to one’s tastes.
Cool, the pickle and splatter lemon juice after that. Now stir the contents for an even blend. Additional oil can be added if the pickle looks dry.
The pan contents should be put in an air-tight jar. More oil can be added to the pickle, if it turns dry, over the days.
Serve this carrot pickle with Dal Khichadi. Let us know if it tastes yummy!